Monday, April 5, 2010

Another glorious fail

Since Tom's baseball game was rained out I decided last minute to go down to Salem for the Willamette University Criterium. Not sure whether other HV folk would be there. Turns out that Andrew, Kolben and Jamie B had similar thoughts. Squeezed in a 15 min warm-up on the trainer then it was off to the course. The 0.7 mile rectangle-shaped circuit was rough in places particularly the first LH turn after the start. The road was rough enough for the wheels to skip out on occasion - must remember to be careful on this turn. Also there was a zebra crossing after turn 2, which could be tricky when accelerating out of the turn. About 45 Cat 4/5s started the race. Lots of familiar faces : Kyle and Tyler from CCX Clydes, Eric from masters 4 and a couple of others.

The race was to be 35 mins in length and three sprint Primes were on offer as well on designated laps. The race got underway. Kolben and I stayed pretty close to the front for the first few laps. The pace was not that high and a couple of breakway attempts were made. I bided my time and decided not to invest too much energy in working at the front. The conditions were atrocious - cold (around 40oF) and wet, wet rain. Everyone was soaked within minutes and cold to the bone. As 'well-insulated' as I am - I too was feeling the cold and regretted the decision to wear only bib-shorts and not to cover my legs. The field slowly warmed up as the race went on.

Then after about 8 laps Jamie B went off the front. I was a great effort and lasted for about 2 laps. I had been lurking in about 15th place but in light of the 'blocking' discussion stimulated by the Cat 4 POC race last week, I decided to 'suck it and see' and powered around the field and settled on the front. I tried to reduce speed slighly while at the same time give the impression of pedaling hard. This was difficult to do. After about another half a lap I was overtaken on both sides by, what seemed to be, a swarm of angry mozzies. Jamie B was slowing and had been joined by another rider. Then the bell sounded for the sprint lap. I was feeling pretty strong and on the back stretch decided to 'make a bid' for the Prime and surged to the front with a blinding burst of acceleration. I was clear and kept on going - legs ablur. 'Round two more corners and then the long straitaway to the finish line. I was able to hold off an approaching rider and, to my astonishment, claim the sprint Prime. Spent, I waited for the field to catch up. Looking back I think that Jamie B's move off the front softened the field enough for me to stay away on my sprint. We should use this as a deliberate strategy in other similar situations.

Then Jamie B came up alongside and told me to drop in behind him - 4 laps to go now. Kolben was nearby and Andrew was ahead, embedded in the first few places. The pace had quickened now. Jamie was doing a great job of protecting me and Kolben was either behind or alongside and Andrew still ahead. The pack was together now.

1 lap to go. Going into the first corner after the start/finish (the rough one, remember) one of the riders washed out and slid in slow motion into my path - I went wider and wider and eventually ran out of road. My bike connected with the fallen riders bike and the sidewalk at about the same time and I went down with about 5 others at about 25 kph. I made the mistake of NOT taking an inside line in the last few laps of a crit. I dusted myself off and inspected the damage. For my trouble I was painted with roadrash on R knee, elbow and hip. The wet conditions saved me from a more severe scraping.

With the fall not too far from the finish I was in a good position to see the riders sprint for the line. Kolben scored 6th and Andrew 8th with Jamie B further back. Great effort from the boys. I won $20 for the sprint Prime which lessened the disappointment of falling (on the last freakin' lap). Despite this is had a blast - it was fun trying to influence the race through team tactics.

So for HV - 6th, 8th and $20. Can't sneeze at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment