Wednesday, April 7, 2010

PIR, oooh LaLa

The pressure was on for me at PIR after failing to finish three out of my last four races (dropped, bonked and crashed :)). As I was riding down to PIR it was clear that last weekend’s crash had damaged my brakes and it looked like the rear brake cable had been stretched. The brake lever was sticky causing the brakes to say on. I would have to deal with this later. Met Brad along the way and chatted about what to expect since it was his first Big-Boy race (triathlons DO NOT count). We were well warmed up for the start. Joined by four other HV 4/5s for the race; RM, AL, KL, RR. Looking around at the start line – it looked like the local crèche has fielded a team…with many young BBC racers. Reckon there were probably a few 14yr olds in the mix as well. Also, the race was going to be very short at 6 laps – I was used to the 14-16 lap masters fields on Monday nights. Not sure how I would go in the final sprint against a bunch of youngsters and 20-somethings in a short race.

In the first lap Brad, RM and I were at the front of the race exchanging pulls. This lasted only a short while before other riders took over, perhaps not comfortable at our controlling the pace. The race was mostly without incident - I tried to get away at one point but was unsuccessful. The main worry was a couple of the younger riders using their brakes too much and driving erratically – they had to be avoided or watched carefully if ahead.

At the start of the last lap, four of us set up a train that took the inside line. The goal was to deliver the fourth rider to the front with about 100m to the line. But for now, it was important to stay within striking distance of the front and conserve energy for the upcoming lactic slapfest. I was sitting third behind the Mexican and Brad with Rich immediately behind me. AL was trapped a couple of riders wide and KL was lurking somewhere no doubt gathering himself for the sprint. The pace quickened as we approached the final bend. A Pacific Blue rider went very early then, as I recall, RM went all out as BF and I struggled to keep up, I passed BF and (fairly quickly) RR passed me on the inside. Hah…….we had delivered RR about 300m before the line (sorry about that, Rich!). AL and KL were ahead of us at this point as well. I had nothing in my legs for the sprint and sat up a long way out and everyone besides Brad and myself finished very high. I cannot honestly say that our HV train was entirely successful. Looking back, I was the weak link and the one not able to provide much of a lead out for Rich. The positive, however, is that we DID get organized – something to build upon for future PIR races.

And I did finish the race…….

No comments:

Post a Comment